The 15 Best Tips To Avoid Back Pain While Shopping
The holiday season has officially begun, which also means the start of the holiday shopping season. Shopping for yourself and others during the holidays can be very fun, but it can also cause problems with your back. Studies have shown that of the over 50,000 people who suffer a back injury during the winter, 5,800 of those are holiday related. It is very possible for people to sustain several different types of back strains and other injuries by not being careful while shopping.
Call 844-408-0462 to Schedule a Free Consultation
These are 15 tips that everyone needs to know to avoid back pain while shopping:
- It is better to have many smaller bags instead of one large bag. This way the weight of the purchases is distributed evenly throughout your body.
- Put heavy items at the bottom of the bag and lighter ones at the top.
- Be sure to drink plenty of fluids! Not staying hydrated can lead to poor healing and inflammation.
- If you have lots of bags, make frequent trips to your car to drop them off so that you aren't carrying too much.
- Try to shop during less busy hours, so you can avoid people who may accidentally bump or push you.
- Plan ahead so that you can avoid stress. Stress is a big cause of back problems.
- Make sure you stretch before and after a long day of shopping.
- Wear comfortable shoes! You do a lot of walking while shopping, and wearing poorly fitting shoes while doing so can lead to back problems.
- Also make sure you are wearing comfortable clothing! If you are going from a cold environment (outside) to a warm one (indoors), it is a good idea to wear layers.
- Be careful when reaching for items. It is easy to slip or twist wrong and injure your back.
- Ask for help if you need it! The employees of the store are there to help locate or grab an item for you.
- Bring family members with you to help carry things.
- Take frequent breaks throughout the day! Most people should take a break every 45 minutes.
- Avoid caffeine if possible. Studies have shown that they can promote back spasms. Also, if you already suffer from muscle damage, it can cause those muscles to become inflamed.
- Avoid shopping with kids if possible. Having to deal with children in an already busy and hectic environment can lead to a lot of stress, and back pain.
If you follow these tips, you should be able to have a safe and fun shopping experience!
At The Illinois Back Institute we are dedicated to educating people, because we know that the more that you understand about your problem, the more likely you are to eliminate it. We specialize in Functional Disc Stabilization - a multi-disciplinary approach to making the back healthier without surgery, injections or medications.
If you would like to schedule a Free Consultation, you can call us at 844-408-0462, or click here:
Disclaimer: The content on this web site is for information purposes only and should never be used as the basis for diagnosis or treatment. We always recommend consulting a qualified professional before embarking on any form of self treatment or rehabilitation.
All content is protected by the usual copyright laws and cannot be used, stolen or reproduced for any purpose without Illinois Back Institute permission. Please feel free to call about anything although we are unable to give advice on any specific injuries or conditions over the phone.