Back pain and sciatica are a common reason for people to not get a full night's sleep. In fact, it has been reported that nearly two-thirds of the people who suffer with chronic back pain are not sleeping enough. This can be a major problem; without enough sleep you cannot heal the back pain, but the pain is what is preventing you from sleeping well in the first place!
Nighttime back pain is similar to regular back pain in that they have similar causes. But what makes nighttime back pain so problematic is that the pain just does not stop when the person is laying down, no matter how many different types of adjustments they try. In some cases the pain even gets worse, and in others the pain might not even begin until the person lays down.
So what can be done to try and fix this problem? The following tips can help you to avoid back pain and sciatica at night and get some sleep:
- Have a good mattress that suits you. There are many types of mattresses, and they all feel different to people and their back pain. Make sure the one you have is the best one for you and your pain.
- Use a body pillow. You should have a body pillow that is 5 to 6 feet long. When laying down, place it between your legs while letting it rest next to your body. This should help take pressure off of your back.
- Get supportive bed pillows and use them correctly. Your pillows should be supporting your neck and head but NOT your shoulders. They should not be on the pillows at all!
- Make sure your sleeping area is cool, comfortable, and quiet.
- Do not drink alcohol near bedtime. Also, avoid drinking any caffeine for at least 8 hours before you sleep.
- Turn off ALL electronic devices at least one hour before bedtime.
- Stop working at least 2 hours before bed.
- As you're trying to fall asleep, slowly breathe in through your nose and out through your mouth, and focus on the sensation of the air passing in and out. This will help you to drift off into sleep.
At the Illinois Back Institute we strive to educate people as much as possible about their back, neck, and sciatica pain, because it has been proven that the more people know about their pain the more likely they will be to get rid of it!
Our 9 Step Solution specializes in treating the causes of back pain and sciatica. Are you ready to put an end to your pain? Schedule a Free Consultation by calling us at 844-408-0462 or just fill out the form on this page!