NOTE: Please Read The Disclaimer at the bottom of this page BEFORE performing any stretches!
Our number 8 Sciatica Stretch is called the Hamstring Stretch. It is extremely important to have adequate hamstring flexibility so that you can improve your body mechanics and posture. If your hamstrings are too tight, it can alter those mechanics and affect your Sciatica pain.
Call 844-265-2268 to Schedule a Free Consultation
To do the Hamstring Stretch at home you will need two sturdy chairs of equal size and an open space to do the stretches.
How To Do The Hamstring Stretch At Home:
- Put one chair on your right side with the back of the chair closest to you, and the other chair in front of you with the back furthest away.
- Stand upright with your hand on the chair beside you. This chair is there to help you keep your balance during the stretches.
- Lift your right leg up and place it on the chair in front of you, making sure your toes are pointing up and towards you.
- While staying in an upright position, bend your hips and lean forward. Make sure to keep your neck straight and in line with your spine when you do this.
- Lean forward until you feel the stretch in your hamstring, and hold that position for 20 seconds. Don't overdo it.
- Repeat this 3 times for each leg
Make sure when doing the Hamstring Stretch that you are bending from the hips and NOT from the back! If you do this stretch correctly, you will not only be improving your hamstring flexibility but also your sciatic nerve flexibility, which can help reduce your sciatic pain!
A common mistake people make when doing this stretch is to bend from the back when the movement needs to come from bending from the hips. To watch video of Dr. Amy explaining and performing the Hamstring Stretch, sign up for our Top 10 Sciatica Stretches Tips and Videos by clicking here:
These at home stretches are provided to relieve your back pain in conjunction with treatment at the Illinois Back Institute. We can heal your back pain naturally without drugs or surgery through Functional Disc Rehydration™.
For additional information on Functional Disc Rehydration, please Request a Free Consultation or call the number below. Our non-invasive treatment method has helped many people overcome sciatica and other back pain issues.
DISCLAIMER: The content on this web site is for informational purposes only and should never be used as the basis for diagnosis or treatment. We always recommend consulting a qualified professional before embarking on any form of self treatment or rehabilitation.
All content is protected by the usual copyright laws and cannot be used, stolen or reproduced for any purpose without the permission of Illinois Back Institute. Please feel free to call about anything although we are unable to give advice on any specific injuries or conditions over the phone.