Thanksgiving can be a stressful time for your back. There are very specific things you need to be aware of that can cause your back pains to get worse. These simple steps will help you avoid the activities that will cause yo the most trouble.
Activities such as standing too long when cooking, preparing a meal, and lifting heavy objects like turkeys can be a pain in the back. Don’t let your back pain prevent you from having a great Thanksgiving. Here are a some tips to avoid back pain this Thanksgiving.
Thanksgiving means a long day of standing and cooking in the kitchen. This can cause a lot of strain on your low back. Here are some tips to avoid back pain in the kitchen.
- Raise your cutting board level so that you are not bending and straining your lower back. The key is to avoid bending! The key is to avoid bending with your spine. You want to bend with your hips.
- Purchase a footstool that you can raise one foot on. This will help by flexing your hip and reduce the compression on the nerves and the discs of your spine, resulting in less discomfort.
- Cooking requires standing for a long period of time so make sure to wear comfortable shoes with a rubber sole and a heel that is about half an inch high to provide good arch support.
- Purchase a rubber mat to stand on.
- Pay attention to your posture. Stand with a wide stance, keep chin tucked, support your head above your shoulders, and keep your shoulders back and down.
- Purchase lightweight cooking items like pots and trays to reduce the heavy lifting.
- Back Pain Tips In The Kitchen
Many of us lift countless heavy objects while cooking throughout the day. For example, taking the turkey out of the oven. Make sure to lift with your knees, and avoid bending at the waist or twisting your trunk. Keep the load close to your midline (belly button), and your body. If it seems too heavy do not be afraid to ask for help if it seems too heavy.
Don’t forget to take a break every 30 minutes and stretch to loosen up your shoulders, back and neck muscles.
When it comes to washing the dishes this can also put a lot of strain on your neck and back. The correct way to do the dishes is by placing one foot on a six-inch footstool, which gets you in an upright position while washing your dishes. When you need to bend forward bend at your hips. This is position is the same as when you are brushing your teeth in the morning.
This Thanksgiving make sure that the food you are serving is back pain friendly. Your diet has a lot to do with why you are suffering with back pain. There are certain foods that you need to avoid and certain food that you should have in your diet that will help your back pain.
Don’t stress! Mental and emotional stress can be just as damaging as lifting and twisting to can be to your back. Make sure to be prepared ahead of time. Don’t over do it and make sure you are not doing too much at once. Find a balance.
Thanksgiving is the time to be thankful and spend quality time with our loved ones. Don’t let your back pain hold you back from having a great holiday!
Happy Thanksgiving Everyone!!!
For More tips click the link below and sign up to receive our top ten tips to help your back pains. These are on vidoe so you know exactly what to do.