NOTE: Please Read The Disclaimer at the bottom of this page BEFORE performing any stretches!
Tip #6 in our series of Sciatica Stretches is called the Piriformis Foam Roll Massage. One of the symptoms caused by sciatica includes buttock pain, and we target that area using the foam roll along with this stretch. The foam roll can be one of the greatest tools to utilize when suffering with back and sciatica pain. This stretch is going to increase the extensibility of your tissue and promote more blood flow to the target area, which will in turn promote more healing. It is also good for your balance.
Call 844-265-2268 to Schedule a Free Consultation
How to do the Piriformis Foam Roll Massage:
Start position: On the floor with room to move
- Start by sitting down on the floor and leaning onto your right side
- Place the foam roll under your right glute and shift your weight a little bit to the right, placing your body weight on the right glute/buttock area
- Place your right hand behind you
- Bend your left leg, and use your left hand to bring up your right leg and cross it on your left knee. (Just like in the piriformis stretch)
- Make sure to keep your left foot flat on the floor, as it is your stabilizing foot
- Slowly roll forward and backwards on the right glute/buttock
- Continue to do this for 30 seconds
- Repeat these steps for the left glute/buttock
Please be aware that this stretch can be especially difficult to perform at first due to your sciatica symptoms. If it is too painful to get your leg up, don’t force it. An alternative route is to drop that leg down and rest the foot on your stabilizing foot so that your feet are still crossed; that way you can still promote more blood flow using the foam roll in this position. Over time this will get easier and your range of motion and mobility will greatly increase.
- People often do these stretches incorrectly. To watch the video of Dr. Amy explain and perform the Piriformis Foam Roll Massage sign up for our Top 10 Sciatica Tips and Videos for Sciatica Stretches.
These at home exercises are provided to relieve your back pain in conjunction with the treatment at the Illinois Back Institute. We can heal your back pain naturally without drugs or surgery through Functional Disc Rehydration™.
If you are suffering with Sciatica, call us!
DISCLAIMER: The content on this web site is for informational purposes only and should never be used as the basis for diagnosis or treatment. We always recommend consulting a qualified professional before embarking on any form of self treatment or rehabilitation.
All content is protected by the usual copyright laws and cannot be used, stolen or reproduced for any purpose without the permission of Illinois Back Institute. Please feel free to call about anything although we are unable to give advice on any specific injuries or conditions over the phone.