Are you suffering from back pain? Here are a few simple ways you can relieve lower back pain at home.
- Use ice to reduce inflammation to the injury within the first 24 to 28 hours. Remove the ice after twenty minutes to give your skin a break. After 48 hours, you can switch to a hot pack to help relax the muscles. Talk with your doctor if pain persists.
- Take a walk, go swimming or take a bike ride. Exercise will help you feel better and keep you mobile. Just remember not to over do it!
- Strengthen your core muscles, especially the ones that support your lower back. This includes the back extensor muscles, hips, pelvis, and abdominal muscles. Having stronger muscles helps you maintain proper posture and aligns your back.
- Stretching is vital for relieving back pain. Just twenty minutes a day can do wonders. Most of us are constantly leaning forward because of work, driving, using the computer or studying. Our muscles become cramped and create unhealthy patterns which can be relieved through stretches. Don't forget your legs! Stretching your hamstrings, quadriceps and gluteus muscles can offer relief to a sore back. Consider taking a yoga class or have a personal trainer walk you through a safe routine.
- Ergonomics plays a role in relieving back pain. When designing your workplace, consider using a chair that supports your low back and allows you to plant your feet to the ground. It is also a good idea to place your computer and mouse in an angle here you do not have hunch over to use it.
- Keep your back straight! Slumping makes it harder for your back to support you. When lifting heavy objects be sure to never bend at the waist, but rather use your knees.
- Exchange your high heels for some pretty flats or low heels. Almost 60% of women who wear heels reported having lower back pain. High heels create an unbalanced posture and increase pressure on your lower spine thus creating back pain.
- Stop smoking. Smoking increases chances of osteoporosis of the spine and other bone problems.
- Eat healthy and exercise to maintaining a healthy weight. Excess weight places stress on your spine.
- Always communicate with your doctor if pain continues after several days or if you have any concerns.
These at home tips are provided to relieve your back pain in conjunction to the treatment at the Illinois Back Institute we can heal your back pain naturally without drugs or surgery through Functional Disc Rehydration™. For additional information on Functional Disc Rehydration, please visit the Request a Consultation at Illinois Back Institute or call 888-959-6823. Our non-invasive treatment method has helped many people overcome sciatica and other back pain issues.