Avoiding surgery for bulging discs is actually quite simple these days, with many natural, non-invasive treatment options available to the patient. Surgery is irreversible, risky and expensive, requiring significant recovery time after a hospital stay. Surgery is often a disappointing experience for patients, since pain may not be helped, may return and worsen or may occur in other, weakened areas of the spine.
Natural bulging disc treatments work better for most people and require no down time. See an experienced back specialist for an accurate diagnosis of your bulging discs and to determine their location along the spine. Here are some of the treatment options that can decrease or eliminate your back pain from a bulging disc:
- Physical therapy: A range of therapy options are often used that may include massage, corrective movement re-education, neuromuscular electrical stimulation, ultrasound, spinal decompression and more.
- Chiropractic manipulation: Spinal adjustments can help return the spine to proper alignment and decrease pain.
- Functional Disc Rehydration™: This natural treatment method returns your bulging, flattened and desiccated spinal discs to proper function by restoring hydration. By decompressing the spine and allowing nutrients to flow freely into the starved discs once again, Functional Disc Rehydration™ can restore bulging discs to their proper shape. Restored and rehydrated discs can once more provide cushioning and shock absorption between the spinal vertebrae, making movement easier and more fluid. Once this is achieved, back pain decreases and may be eliminated. Patients generally report improvement and decreased pain after just one treatment visit.
- Exercise programs: Including stretching and strengthening exercises to help build strength to support the spine and to keep the body supple. Cardio workouts should focus on low-impact or non-jarring activities like using an elliptical machine or swimming.
- Acupuncture: May be effective for some individuals with back pain from bulging discs.
- Herbal and vitamin supplements: Fish oil may help reduce inflammation and other supplements may help some individuals with back pain from slipped discs. All supplements should be discussed with your physician because they may have side effects, such as increased bleeding risk and interactions with other medications and foods.
- Lifestyle changes: Learning and practicing good posture and proper lifting techniques, maintaining a healthy weight and managing stress may all be part of your natural back pain treatment plan.
Until pain is relieved by natural means, medication can help in the form of over-the-counter anti-inflammatories, prescription painkillers and a limited number of cortisone injections. Hot and cold therapy can also help relieve acute back pain.
Functional Disc Rehydration™ was developed right here at The Illinois Back Institute. We offer a free back health consultation with a back specialist to learn about this and other natural treatments for bulging disc pain.