If you are suffering from lower back pain it is important to stretch your hamstrings twice daily. Stretching your hamstrings is one of the easiest things you can do to help alleviate your lower back pain. Having tight hamstrings can place stress on your lower back causing more pain. Remember to stretch your hamstrings twice daily.
Hamstring Stretch #1:
- While lying on your back keep one leg straight and pull the other leg up to your chest.
- Try to straighten the bent knee at your chest so that your bottom foot is pushing towards the ceiling.
- Hold this stretch for 30 seconds and repeat on the other side.
Another way to remember to do your hamstring stretches is to involve them in your everyday life. Hamstring Stretch #2 can be done at work or at home all you need is a chair.
Hamstring Stretch #2:
- While seated in a chair scoot to the edge of your seat.
- Keep one leg bent and straighten the other leg out so that your toes are pointed at the ceiling.
- Sit up straight and roll your pelvis forward so that you feel a light stretch in the back of your leg.
- Hold for 30 seconds and repeat on each side.
It is very important to relax while you stretch. Hamstring Stretch #3 & 4 can be very relaxing.
Hamstring Stretch #3:
- Find a wall corner and lay down next to it.
- Slowly place one leg on the wall while slowly dropping the other onto the ground. You should feel the stretch in your hamstring.
- With the leg on the wall try to walk your leg up the wall making it at a 90-degree angle.
- Once your wall leg is straight start slowly moving to your starting position. Slide your hips closer to the wall and repeat.
- Do this stretch for 30 seconds and repeat on the other side.
Hamstring Stretch #4:
- Take a towel and lie down on the floor.
- Place the middle of the towel behind your ankle and pull the leg up and straighten by holding onto the towel.
- Stretch one leg at a time for 30 seconds each.
The hamstring muscles will lengthen over time, which will decrease stress on the lower back. Not only will it decrease your back pain but also improve your mobility. It is best to stretch every morning and every night before getting into bed.
Make sure to talk to your doctor before proceeding with the stretches. Even though hamstring stretches are low impact it is better to be safe than sorry!