Many herniated disc occur due to the aging process. There is no way to prevent that but there are ways to make sure your spine is healthy and strong. If you take certain measures you can help prevent your chancing of suffering from a herniated disc.
How to prevent a herniated disc?
- Proper lifting techniques. Do NOT bend at the waist! Make sure that you are lifting by squatting and bending your knees & using your legs while keeping your back straight.
- Healthy diet! Make sure to add foods high in omega fatty acids and calcium to keep your disc, bones, and joints healthy. Excess weight puts pressure on your spine. Click here to read "Diet Tips to Reduce Back Pain"
- Good posture! Poor posture puts stress on your spine. Make sure to practice good posture throughout the day with whatever you are doing.
- Use good posture while walking and standing. To do this keep your shoulders back and down, abs in, chin back, and support your lower back.
- While sleeping keep your back supported. For sleep positions that are good for your back click here.
- While sitting use good posture by placing a pillow or rolled towel to support your lower back that the chair is not supporting.
- Stretch! Make sure to stretch when you are sitting for prolonged periods of time. Stretching keeps your helps your spines overall flexibility.
- Exercise regularly. Low-impact exercises! Try walking or swimming to keep your back muscle strong without adding excessive stress to your spine.
- Quit smoking! Toxins in cigarettes reduce circulation and the nicotine can harm the discs by not allowing them to absorb the nutrients they need to stay healthy. This can cause the disc to become dry and brittle.
- Avoid wearing shoes that are harmful to your spine like high heels.