At the Illinois Back Institute we treat patients suffering with sciatica. Through Functional Disc Rehydration we are able to relieve the pressure off the spine and allow the nutrients to flow back into the disc. Click here to read more “Treat Sciatica Pain at the Illinois Back Institute” for more on how we treat your sciatica pain.
For those who continue to suffer from sciatica pain throughout the day there are some different home remedies that you can do to help reduce that pain.
Home Remedies To Help Reduce Sciatica Pain
- Stretching! Stretch every morning before getting out of bed and make sure to repeat two or more times throughout your day. Stretching exercises for your lower back can help with the pain and may help relieve nerve root compression. When stretching avoid bouncing, jerking, and twisting. Click here for "Stretching Exercises Sciatica"
- Cold Packs. Place an ice pack wrapped in a clean towel over the painful area for up to 20 minutes throughout the day for relief.
- Hot Packs. Place a hot pack on the lowest setting a few days after the pain occurs. If the pain continues then start to alternate cold and warm packs.
- Drink water! I suggest drinking 8 to 10 glasses of water per day. This is very important!
- Diet! Add magnesium, B-12, and natural anti-inflammatories to your daily diet. Click here for more diet tips to help your sciatica.
- Walk for 20 to 40 minutes three times a week this will reduce your pain. If it’s on a treadmill or even just walking around the house any type of walking will help your pain.