It is very important to keep good posture while standing to avoid any strain on your back. You need to train your body to have good posture to avoid any extra strain that it placed on the supporting muscles and ligaments during movement. When you slouch your muscles and ligaments struggle to keep balanced leading to back pain.
A healthy spine has 3 natural curves.
- Cervical curve – Inward or forward curve at the neck.
- Thoracic curve – An outward or backward curve at the upper back.
- Lumbar curve – An inward curve at the lower back.
Tips for good posture while standing:
- Hold your head up straight with your chin in. Avoid tilting your head forward, backwards, and sideways.
- Shoulder blades should stay back and relaxed. Keep your earlobes in line with the middle of your shoulders.
- Chest held high.
- Keep your knees straight.
- Tuck your abs in and do NOT tilt your pelvis forward or backwards.
- You feet should stay parallel.
- Make sure your weight is evenly balanced on both feet.
- Make sure the arches of your feet are supported.
Why is important to keep proper posture?
- Posture prevents backaches and muscular pain.
- It will keep the bones and joints in correct position so your muscles are being properly used.
- Decreases chances of arthritis caused by wearing of the joint surfaces.
- Good posture allows the body to use less energy preventing muscle fatigue.
- Prevents overuse or strain problems.
- Helps decrease the stress on the ligaments holding the spine joints together.
- Prevents spine from abnormal positions.
Click here on the links below for more posture tips:
- Sleep Positions That Won't Strain Your Back
- Standing at Work All Day? Tips To Avoiding Back Pain
- Tips To How You Can Avoid Back Pain While Sitting
It is important to take these tips to good posture while standing and use them in your everyday life. This will strengthen your back and also can help prevent suffering from back pain in the future. For more tips click here to sign up for our top 10 back pain tips.