There are many different factors that can put you at risk of a herniated disc. Herniated disc are very common and are occur more often in people ages 35 to 55 years old. Each year, thousands of people suffering from back pain caused by herniated discs and they aren’t sure why this happened to them.
Risk Factors that you can’t change:
- History of back injuries.
- Getting older. Aging and degeneration.
- They are more common in men than women.
Risk Factors that you can change:
Some risk factors can be changed with just a small lifestyle change. Limit your chances by making these changes so you can avoid any future pain caused by a herniated disc.
- Quit smoking! Toxins from smoking can keep the spinal discs from absorbing all the nutrients they need from the blood, making an injury to your disc more likely.
- Exercise! Not exercising regularly and maintaining a healthy weight puts pressure on the lower back.
- Being overweight and in poor physical condition can weaken the muscles and flexibility leading to lower back pain.
- Avoid doing strenuous exercise for a long time or exercising too hard too much after a long period of time not exercising.
- Practice good posture while sitting, sleeping, walking and standing.
- Avoid wearing high-heeled shoes that throw your spine off balance.
- Stretch often when sitting for long periods of time. Make sure to take micro-breaks throughout the day.
- Eat healthy!
- Avoid heavy lifting & use proper lifting techniques for big or small lifting.
- Avoid frequent twisting, bending, and repetitive movements of the back.
Make these lifestyle changes now to avoid any future pain. If you already are suffering from a herniated disc sign up today for a FREE consultation at the Illinois Back Institute. Through Functional Disc Rehydration we can fix your pain with out drugs, injections or surgery. Call today and get your life back!