Decorating during the holiday season can be tricky. You can easily strain or injure your back while trying to put up decorations. A nasty fall could result in a back injury or even broken bones. Here are some tips to staying safe while decorating.
Tips To Staying Safe While Decorating This Holiday Season
- Do NOT climb on furniture while hanging decorations. Make sure to use a sturdy ladder so you are safe.
- Don’t reach over. Once again use a ladder, don’t assume you can reach something that can lead to sprains and strain on your back.
- Many times people want rush decorating and misjudge the distance and heights of what they are hanging leading to stress on their backs. Take you time! Don’t do any quick twist, turns, or long reaches that can cause strain on your back.
- When you are up on the ladder don’t reach and lean. Come down from the latter and move it to where it needs to be. Keep you body centered on the ladder and maintain a balance to decrease pressure on your spine.
- If you are hanging light have a spotter. It’s better to be safe than sorry.
- Purchase a light ladder so that you are dragging a having ladder around the house.
- If decorations are heavy find someone to help you out. Don’t take on too much by yourself.
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention says that over 50,000 people every year endure some sort of winter-related back injury, and 5,800 of those are holiday decorating-related. Follow the tips above and hopefully you will be able to enjoy your holiday without back pain!
Want more back pain tips for the holiday season? Click Here