Many of us spend the majority of our day in a sitting position, most likely in a chair. We do it at work, at home, and usually even in-between. The problem with all of this sitting is that the way you sit can cause stress on your spine, leading to more back pain. Therefore it is important to know the proper way to sit so this doesn’t happen to you!
Below are some tips on how to avoid back pain while sitting in a chair:
- Relax when sitting into your chair.
- Make sure you have your bottom against the seat back with your shoulder blades touching the back rest of the chair.
- Make sure your feet touch the floor. If they don’t reach the floor put a foot stool under them.
- There should be space between the front of your seat and back of your calves.
- Your hips should be higher than your knees.
- Arms should be flat and your elbows level with the desk or table you are using.
- Use a seat with arm rests.
- Stretch and take frequent breaks.
Right Way to Getting Out of a Chair:
- Scoot to the edge of your seat
- Place your feet under your body
- Stand up using your hips
Knowing the right way of getting in and out of your chair is important because we do it all day every day. Join us later this evening on our Facebook page for a video about this Back Pain Relief Tip!
At the Illinois Back Institute we strive to educate everyone as much as possible about their back pain and sciatica, because it is proven that the more people know about their problem the more likely they are to eliminate it!
All content is protected by the usual copyright laws and cannot be used, stolen or reproduced for any purpose without Illinois Back Institute permission. Please feel free to call about anything although we are unable to give advice on any specific injuries or conditions over the phone.