Many people spend most of their days sitting in a chair. Whether it is at home, work, or while traveling, people are sitting more than ever before. The problem with this is that the way you sit and the way you get up out of a chair can cause stress on the spine, which could be leading to back pain!
It is important to know the proper way to sit and to get out of a chair so that you are not causing unnecessary stress on your back. When you are sitting, remember these tips:
- Use a seat with arm rests
- Relax when first sitting down in your chair.
- Your hips should always be higher than your knees.
- Sit all the way back into the chair. Your bottom and shoulder blades should both be against the chair's back rest.
- There should be space between the front of your seat and the back of your legs.
- Your elbows should be level with the desk you are using.
- Make sure that your feet touch the floor. If they don't, get a foot rest or foot stool.
One of the other main causes of back pain from sitting is because people are not getting out of their chairs correctly. When you are standing up, make sure to follow these steps:
- Scoot to the edge of your chair
- Move your feet so that they are directly under your body
- Stand up using your hips
By following these tips you can prevent and relieve any back pain you might experience while sitting!
At the Illinois Back Institute we strive to educate everyone as much as possible about their back pain and sciatica, because it is proven that the more people know about their problem the more likely they are to eliminate it!
All content is protected by the usual copyright laws and cannot be used, stolen or reproduced for any purpose without Illinois Back Institute permission. Please feel free to call about anything although we are unable to give advice on any specific injuries or conditions over the phone.