The holidays are here and many people will be hosting friends and family to celebrate, which means decorating the house so it looks festive for everyone to enjoy. But decorating during the holiday season can be tricky! You can easily strain or injure your back while trying to put up decorations. A nasty fall could result in a back injury or something even worse.
Here are some tips to staying safe while decorating:
Call 844-408-0462 to Schedule a Free Consultation
- Do NOT climb on furniture while hanging decorations. Furniture is often much more fragile than it seems. Make sure to use a sturdy ladder so you are safe.
- Don’t overreach for stuff. Many people assume they can stretch enough to get to something just out of reach, and it often leads to sprains and strain on your back.
- Take your time! Many times people are in a rush to finish decorating and they aren't careful. Don’t do any quick twists, turns, or long reaches that can cause back strains.
- Be careful when using a ladder. Don’t reach and/or lean when on it. The ladder may seem sturdy, but a little too much leaning can mean a long way down to the ground. Instead, come down from the latter and move it to where it needs to be. Also, keep your body centered on the ladder and maintain a balance to decrease pressure on your spine.
- Use a strong but lightweight ladder so that you are not having to move and drag a heavy ladder all around the house.
- Get help! It's so much easier when you have someone with you to hand you what you need, help move heavy things, or just to spot you as you decorate.
According to studies, over 50,000 people every year endure some sort of winter-related back injury, and 5,800 of those are holiday decorating-related. Follow the tips above and hopefully you will be able to enjoy your holiday without back pain!
At the Illinois Back Institute we strive to educate everyone as much as possible about their back pain and sciatica, because it is proven that the more people know about their problem the more likely they are to eliminate it!
All content is protected by the usual copyright laws and cannot be used, stolen or reproduced for any purpose without Illinois Back Institute permission. Please feel free to call about anything although we are unable to give advice on any specific injuries or conditions over the phone.