At the Illinois Back Institute, we have a lot of patients who come to us for treatment because they want to avoid surgery. These people have been suffering with chronic back pain, and often their primary care doctor may tell them that surgery is their only option. The most common type of surgery for back pain is fusion surgery, where they use screws and a rod to fuse two vertebrae together with the hope that doing so will end the patient's back pain. But, there are many dangers of such a procedure. Here are some facts about this type of surgery that everyone needs to know:
1. It's very invasive - Fusion surgery is the most invasive of all back surgeries. And because it is in a very delicate and important area, there are a lot of things that can go wrong. These can include infections, blood clots, fractures in the vertebrae, injury to the surrounding nerves, failure of the fusion hardware, and more!
2. It doesn't always work - In fact, over 1 out of every 10 people who undergo fusion surgery will need to have ANOTHER spinal surgery within 5 years of the first, either because the first surgery didn't fix the problem or it caused more problems and more pain. Some estimates have put the rate of failed fusions as high as 33%!
3. It's permanent - Once the fusion is done, there is no turning back. There is no way to undo it.
4. It's big business - In the United States it has been estimated that fusion surgery is performed on over 400,000 people each year, and that number keeps growing. The cost for the surgery is also increasing, and now can cost well more than $80,000. This means that each year in this country, over $32 Billion is spent on fusion surgeries alone!
5. It's a long recovery, and you're never the same - It usually takes around 2 or 3 months for a normal recovery. And there will forever be limits on some of the things you do, including physical activity, how you move at the point of the surgery, and lifting heavy items.
For these reasons, it is vital for people to try every other treatment available for their back pain before agreeing to undergo fusion surgery.
At the Illinois Back Institute we strive to educate people as much as possible about their back, neck, and sciatica pain, because it has been proven that the more people know about their pain the more likely they will be to get rid of it!
Our 9 Step Solution specializes in treating the causes of back pain and sciatica. Are you ready to put an end to your pain? Schedule a Free Consultation by calling us at 844-408-0462 or click here!
Also, if you would like to learn more about your back, neck, and sciatica pain and how to eliminate it, we are holding a LIVE Back Pain and Sciatica Relief Webinar next Wednesday at Noon! Just click on the link below for information on how to register for the Webinar:
All content is protected by the usual copyright laws and cannot be used, stolen or reproduced for any purpose without Illinois Back Institute permission. Please feel free to call about anything although we are unable to give advice on any specific injuries or conditions over the phone.