When someone suffers some form of back injury, or if they are experiencing chronic back pain, one of the common ways to treat it is through physical therapy. The Illinois Back Institute's unique treatment incorporates physical therapy to help patients to relieve their back, neck, and sciatica pain. For people who have ever wanted to learn a little bit more about Physical Therapy, check out these 10 quick facts about it:
1. The profession of a Physical Therapist began during World War I. They were needed to treat soldiers injured during the fighting.
2. Physical Therapy began as a female only profession, and they were originally called "Reconstruction Aides."
3. The 1930's and 40's saw a dramatic increase in the number of Physical Therapists due to World War II and the polio epidemic in the U.S.
4. There are currently around 200,000 Physical Therapists in the United States. About 70% of them are female.
5. Some of the Physical Therapy techniques used today were started nearly 2500 years ago! It is believed that around the year 460 B.C. Hippocrates and others began implementing both massage therapy and hydrotherapy.
6. Physical Therapy includes several different techniques and treatments, including manual (massage), ultrasound, ice and heat, and traction therapies.
7. People spend over 26.6 billion dollars a year on Physical Therapy.
8. Each year over 9 million people (and growing) undergo Physical Therapy treatment.
9. Studies have shown that for back problems, Physical Therapy can be just as or even more effective than surgery, while being less invasive and cheaper.
10. In 2013 Forbes magazine ranked Physical Therapist as one of their "10 Happiest Jobs."
At the Illinois Back Institute we strive to educate everyone as much as possible about their back pain and sciatica, because it is proven that the more people know about their problem the more likely they are to eliminate it!