Anyone who has suffered with lower back pain and sciatica knows that stretching often can be vital when it comes to relieving the pain. When you have pain in this area in particular, one of the most important muscles to stretch is the hamstring, because when that muscle is tight it can place extra pressure on the lower back and lead to more even pain. Stretching both hamstrings twice a day is one of the easiest ways to relieve lower back pain and sciatica, because by doing so you keep them relaxed and loose, and that keeps them from causing any unneeded stress on your back.
These 3 hamstring stretches can be done at home and are a very simple way to help reduce lower back pain and sciatica:
- Lay flat on your back, keeping one leg straight against the floor, and pull the other leg up to your chest
- Slowly straighten the bent knee, lifting the leg up so that the sole of your foot is facing the ceiling
- Hold this position for 30 seconds, then slowly release and repeat with the other leg
- Sit up straight on the front edge of a sturdy chair
- Keep one leg bent with the foot on the floor, and lift the other leg in front of you so that your toes are pointing up at the ceiling
- Move your pelvis forward slowly until you feel a stretch on the back of the outstretched leg
- Hold the stretch for 30 seconds, then slowly release and repeat with the other leg
- This stretch requires a towel or something similar
- Lie down on the floor, keeping one leg straight and wrapping the towel around the ankle of the other leg
- Slowly pull the leg up using the towel until you feel a stretch in the back of the leg. Make sure you keep the leg straight while doing this
- Stay in this position for 30 seconds, then release and repeat for the other leg.
After performing these stretches for a while on a regular basis, your hamstrings will actually lengthen! Not only will this improve your mobility, but it will also lessen the amount of stress on the lower back and help reduce your back and sciatica pain!
At the Illinois Back Institute we strive to educate people as much as possible about their back, neck, and sciatica pain, because it has been proven that the more people know about their pain the more likely they will be to get rid of it!
Our 9 Step Solution specializes in treating the causes of back pain and sciatica. Are you ready to put an end to your pain? Schedule a Free Consultation by calling us at 844-408-0462 or click here!
All content is protected by the usual copyright laws and cannot be used, stolen or reproduced for any purpose without Illinois Back Institute permission. Please feel free to call about anything although we are unable to give advice on any specific injuries or conditions over the phone.